1. Check requirements
If your heritage is at least partially Hungarian, this program is for you. Read below, if you want to know why - and also check on... Read More ...
2. Collect your materials
Collect the supporting materials! Before you start the application process, make sure you have all materials ready for... Read More ...
3. Select your obligations
By participating in the ReConnect Hungary program, you commit to fulfilling certain pre and post-trip obligations as detailed in our... Read More ...
4. Log in to create your page
You have to register with a valid contact information to begin the application process and start uploading your admission... Read More ...
5. Submit your application
When you have uploaded all the necessary documents and also completed the form, APPLY with the push of a... Read More ...
6. Pay the application and program fee
On this page you can pay the application fee Read More ...
2. Collect your materials
Collect the supporting materials! Before you start the application process, make sure you have all materials ready for submission.
High quality current headshot for publicity materials (medium close-up photograph showing the top of the shoulders up to above the head, 300 pixels per inch);
Two recommendation letters (professional or personal, addressing your suitability for the program);
Copy of high school/college diploma or current year college transcript;
A video essay in which you describe:
• your Hungarian background (who in your family is Hungarian)
• your experiences of being Hungarian in North America
• your current involvement in the Hungarian-American community (if any)
• how you plan to give back to the Hungarian-American community and promote the program upon your return
Research from where your Hungarian ancestors originated (summarize in a couple of sentences what you know about your family's origination).
CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
A written essay (max. 1,000 words) about one of the following Hungarian films:
• On Body and Soul (Testről és lélekről), 2017, Ildikó Enyedi
• Son of Saul (Saul fia), 2015, László Nemes,
• Sing (Mindenki), 2016, Kristóf Deák
(Please reflect on the subject matter of the film, what effect it had on you personally, and what you learned about the Hungarian experience and your Hungarian identity.)
A written essay (max. 1,000 words) about one of the following topics:
• A significant event in Hungarian history: select one and explore the event’s implications for Hungarian society and its impact on different aspects of Hungarian culture: Hungarian Conquest of the Carpathian Basin - 895; Battle of Mohács – 1526; Hungarian War of Independence - 1848; Treaty of Trianon - 1920; Hungarian Revolution - 1956; Fall of Communism – 1989.
• Hungarian Diaspora communities in the world (including those who emigrated to other countries, and those who are autochthonous to their homeland in Hungary’s seven neighboring countries): examine the sociological, political and economic factors that led to the development of this phenomenon.
• Hungaricums: select five, including food and non-food-related items, and explicate their role in shaping Hungarian culture.
• Notable Hungarian inventors in North America: select one and describe his/her personal history, as well as his/her invention and its impact on society.