About the program
ReConnect Hungary is a unique cultural, educational and social immersion program for young adults of Hungarian... Read More ...
Your birthright trip
This is not your run-of-the-mill sightseeing program. There is so much to see in the country, but we've selected a few "must... Read More ...
Cost of the program
Your out-of-pocket expense is only $1,800, and the experience is priceless. Read More ...
Scroll down to find an answer to every possible question you might want to ask. The answers below are compiled from multiple... Read More ...
ReConnect Hungary 29+
A special birthright trip for Hungarian-Americans and Canadians aged 29 and older. Read More ...
Visit Transylvania for a week right after the Hungarian birthright trip, or apply for our new scholarship: live, teach and... Read More ...
Information for parents
What your child will experience—the exclusive events, access, quality offerings in programs—simply cannot be found in any... Read More ...
The program is a public-private partnership organized by the Hungarian Human Rights Foundation, supported by Hungarian American and... Read More ...
Scroll down to find an answer to every possible question you might want to ask. The answers below are compiled from multiple sections of this website.
I don't speak any Hungarian. Am I eligible for ReConnect Hungary? Will I enjoy it?
Absolutely! The program is designed especially for second, third, fourth (and beyond) generation Hungarian-Americans who do not speak Hungarian.
My ancestry is only distantly Hungarian, do I qualify? How do I demonstrate my Hungarian background?
Yes! The program is designed for those who want to rediscover their Hungarian self while building connections to family, traditions and community, both local and global. In the video essay portions of your application you will be asked to tell us about what you know about your family's background, as well as of your Hungarian experiences so far, if any. This is enough to demonstrate your ancestry.
What is the cost of the program and what does it cover?
The out-of-pocket cost for you, a selected participant, is only $1,800. The scholarship is funded by the organizers, individual and corporate sponsors, and a grant from the Government of Hungary.
Basically everything is covered! Roundtrip airfare and taxes between New York and Budapest; all transportation to/from airports in New York and Budapest; all accommodations while in Hungary; three meals a day while in Hungary (we provide only breakfast on the free weekend); guides in Hungary; transportation in our own van throughout Hungary; all entrance fees to museums and historical sites; the pre-trip online course; and lunch and orientation in New York.
You will need to cover travel to/from New York City and spending money. You will have to arrange your own health/travel/extra baggage insurance and passport.
Do you need help covering the cost? Family and friends can give the trip as your birthday, graduation or holiday present. There are also creative ways for you to raise funds for your trip.
I've already been to Hungary, can I still participate in ReConnect?
It depends. The program is designed for young Americans and Canadians of Hungarian background who have never been to Hungary so that they can rediscover their roots. If you were born in Hungary but left before age 12, you are eligible for ReConnect Hungary. If you are not eligible, there are other ways to get involved and support the program: mentoring, joining us on Facebook and FUNdraising are but a few opportunities. Any monetary donations are tax deductible.
I'd like to sponsor a participant's trip. Is this possible?
Absolutely! Just download this form and make a donation by check to "RECONNECT HUNGARY" and mail it to: ReConnect Hungary - Hungarian Birthright Program, 120 East 90th Street #5D, New York, NY 10128, or make a secure online donation! All donations are tax deductible.
Who are the organizers?
ReConnect Hungary - Hungarian Birthright Program is organized by the Hungarian Human Rights Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization headquartered in New York, established in 1976. The Program is a public-private partnership supported by Hungarian-American and Canadian organizations and the Government of Hungary.
How are participants selected?
ReConnect Hungary is a unique cultural immersion program. As such, the number of participants per trip is limited to ensure an optimal experience. After meeting eligibility requirements, participants will be selected on a first-come basis and on the strength of their recommendations, essays and interviews. Your percentage of Hungarian ancestry is not a factor! Final selections will be subject to a phone interview with the ReConnect Hungary team. Participants selected for the trip will be informed by email. Beginning your volunteer assignment and completing the Essentials of Hungary: A Primer and Introduction Online Course are prerequisites of final acceptance.
What are the steps in the Program?
You need to apply by January 31, 2019. Once selected, you will need to pay the $1,800 fee. You will then be assigned a volunteer organization. In February 2019, you complete the online course and group assignment. You go on the trip and afterwards fulfill your alumni obligations for a minimum of 12 months after the trip. To apply, you need to meet the eligibility requirements, fill out an application, pay a $25 application fee online and submit supporting documents.
What happens after the trip?
Your journey to rediscovering your Hungarian self continues when you return to the U.S./Canada. You become a member of the ReConnected Participants community. As such, you will be required to continue your volunteer activity and fulfill your selected task force responsibilities for a minimum of 12 months after the trip.Choose at least one alumni obligation (such as take Hungarian language courses, study in Hungary, seek Hungarian citizenship, form an on-campus Hungarian club, promote ReConnect Hungary in various ways).
What constitutes completing the program?
- Volunteering a minimum of 80 hours at a Hungarian-American/Canadian organization between March 2019 and June 2020.
- Completing the Essentials of Hungary: A Primer and Introduction Online Course, participating in at least one moderated chat session on current-day topics in Hungary, and activly contributing to your group presentation.
- Taking the birthright trip.
- Blog in the Community section (participants' post) of the website and post updated testimonials.
- Participating in a collaborative task force (detailed below) with your peers and submitting individual/joint quarterly reports about your activities and achievements.
- Completing at least one individual activity (see Terms & Conditions for complete listing) that grows the program and/or your Hungarian knowledge. These include having an article or interview with you published in a local paper or social media site, or broadcast on local radio/TV; referring 2 applicants for the 2020 program who are accepted; organizing a local meet-up; getting a business sponsor for the Program; organizing a ReConnect Hungary fundraising event; completing the coursework for at least one year in a Hungarian language class.
On your application form you select a task force with specific responsibilities, according to your interests:
Promotions, Publicity, Marketing, Social Media
• Promote the program and recruit applicants in conventional and novel ways, in various venues, across all media and platforms (e.g., high school guidance counselors, college scholarship departments, libraries, bulletin boards).
• Design and disseminate new promotional materials, including items and gear for sale.
• Get in touch with local media (TV, radio, Internet, print) and offer them content, an interview, or prepare a PSA they can air/print.
• Blog in the Community section (participants' post) of the website and post updated testimonials.
• Represent the Program at Hungarian festivals.
Fundraising and Sponsorship Drive
• Organize fundraising events benefiting the Program, such as alumni telethon, crowd-funding campaign, dining for a cause at restaurants.
• Convince an existing Hungarian event to donate part of its proceeds to the Program.
• Encourage employer matching contributions on the part of family and friends.
• Research grant opportunities for educational/cultural programs like ours.
• Convince local businesses or organizations to be a program sponsor in exchange for publicity in our promotional materials and online.
• Get a business to offer the Program a percentage of profit from a sale or service.
• Encourage a business or organization to sponsor the full cost of one, or a specific participant.
ReConnected Participants Relations and Local Meetups
• Organize an informational event about the Program in a local venue such as a library, campus, popular hang-out.
• Form a local regular meet-up event for peers.
• Assist the class president. Organize alumni events locally and nationally. Keep alumni involved.
• Post weekly on RH Alumni FB page and the main, public RH Facebook and Instagram page. Regularly post on social media about the Program, Hungarian-related issues, events, etc.
Forming/Joining a Hungarian Club on Your Campus
• Assume active leadership if one already exists. Form a new club if one does not exist.
What if I need to cancel?
If you have to cancel after having paid, but up to 120 days before departure, we will retain a $300 administrative fee and refund you the $1,500. Cancellations within 120 days prior to departure will result in forfeiture of the entire $1,800 you paid for the program.